Go Back   Houston240sx.com Forums > Houston240sx.com > Media > Member's Rides

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #51
zeropistons
RotaryAbuser

zeropistons probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumatize240sx View Post
try 215/55/16 jack ass
*sigh* you know that didn't help, right. Post back responses like that after you start running something like 285s or 300s in the front. It's actually kind of an impressive retort then.

There's a book you should read. It called "competition car downforce". Buy it. Don't buy it on amazon, those bastards want about $200 for it now. Get it from Haynes UK. Read it and you'll have a good understanding of why people are saying what they're saying. Essentially, unless you have a wing that's something like an A-mod wing, or a sprint car wing, you won't see much low end effect.

I'm not bashing you for the wing. You should just know what it's actually doing for you.

zeropistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #52
Black Ls-14

Black Ls-14 probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropistons View Post

I'm not bashing you for the wing. You should just know what it's actually doing for you.

This^
Black Ls-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #53
turbodremz23
SC570...?

turbodremz23 probable wing man
Ok, Cobalts are in the same category as Civics in my book, so you made no progress there...and v-6 camaros are garbage.

What Im trying to tell you, is that your killing yourself with this whole "functional" spoiler thing. At 30-50mph, its doing nothing for your car, not to mention it looks ridiculous. A set of wider rims/tires will yield greater traction gains than your spoiler at that speed, not to mention a good suspension setup..and 215's arent anything to brag about...my spare is a 235....

My 4200lbs SC300 will slide on a wet road when turning from a red light @ 20mph with 275's, you think a spoiler will help that?...NO. There is too much at play just to simply say that a funky spoiler is doing something...

Road temp, street materials, vehicle ACTUAL weight, tire width and compounds, air pressure, differential type, atmospheric temp...alot goes into traction issues, and I havent even started a list with whats above. Before you can tackle the physics of a car and say "oh this will work", you need to understand how each component really functions, when it begins to function, and how the vehicle will react.

That spoiler has less than a 20* angle on it, meaning that under say 80mph, its going to actually cause more drag. And if there is a gap between the base of the spoiler and the lid to the hatch, its actually going to cause a bit of lift.

And just for note, IF by chance you do actually have an LS1 for your s13, and you cant control it now on a wet road cause of said downforce issues, what are you going to do with an engine that is making double what your stock KA is? You think a set of 215's are going to have enough of a contact patch to keep that engine in check? Might as well loose the spoiler now cause its really going to be useless more than it already is.

BTW, what LS1 do you have?

SC570 6MT on the road
turbodremz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #54
sr20funnymoney
Travis P.

sr20funnymoney probable wing man
ok dude the car looks decent the wing is a personal preference. dont look too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!lv!a View Post
SR's aren't even a swap.. they're more of like a factory upgrade in my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_SR_Peggy View Post
You work on gravel and rocks??? Dang what a man!
sr20funnymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #55
traumatize240sx

traumatize240sx probable wing man
i understand what you are saying. i dont on the other hand understand why you cannot comprehend what i am saying. everyone who has driven my car without a spoiler knows what its like in the rain. and then they have driven in again in the rain with the spoiler. they all can feel the difference.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #56
traumatize240sx

its out of an old 2002 camero
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #57
zeropistons
RotaryAbuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodremz23 View Post
weak....Im 275/40/17 daily, and a 315/35 for track...
See, that's actually impressive.

Quote:
can you people not see what ive done to the wing in that pic? maybe not. but might as well explain it. increased the angle and added a extra lip. i will post a new pic.
Unless you've increased the square footage significantly any change to the angle of attack will have very little effect. It can slow you down some, though.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #58
traumatize240sx

lowered the front raised the back shaved the front of the lower lip so its snug to the body and increased the angle of the upper lip significantly.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #59
NoShoesDrew

NoShoesDrew probable wing man
Quote:
i understand what you are saying. i dont on the other hand understand why you cannot comprehend what i am saying. everyone who has driven my car without a spoiler knows what its like in the rain. and then they have driven in again in the rain with the spoiler. they all can feel the difference.
Are you out of your fucking mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Driving a stock S13 hatch or coupe, is not gunna have an effect at 15,35,55,75MPH with a wing or with out. You need to lay off the hawaiian drugs and realize WHAT THE FUCK you are saying is making no fucking clue at all. I dont care of you have 155WHP or 850WHP if you arent doing over meh 120 the wing is doing you NO FUCKING GOOD. SO Stop watching Fast and Furious. Thanks!!!
NoShoesDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #60
Mikespeed95

I didn't know people this dumb still existed on the internet.

Excited about 2011!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #61
SnafuPossum
ButtSecksMod

SnafuPossum probable wing man
Minor case of hypochondria in hur
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanmike View Post
i swcored top 3% of dropouts
SnafuPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #62
ADiamond240sx
Super Car-Borator

ADiamond240sx is a jewel in the roughADiamond240sx is a jewel in the roughADiamond240sx is a jewel in the rough
Play nice guys.

Maybe the wing's weight adds traction ?

Aggrivation-O-Meter
[I][I][I][I][I][I][I][ ][ ][ ]
ADiamond240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #63
Mikespeed95

Maybe its because the use of the OEM Ford Taurus sized tires allows enough sidewall flex to widen the contact patch from 215mm to 335mm with the extra .04lb of downforce, on the nylon single ply sidewall, creating soooo much grip that 135rwhp just cannot overcome the immeasurable grip.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #64
chutch240
project 240

chutch240 probable wing man

hey bro do what YOU want. dont worry what the forum regs say. they all just hate, thats why i dont post my shit on here. plus half the people on here do way more lame shit than just putting a fuckin wing on their car. personally i think wings are lame, but if you like em than keep it. although they all cum when they see fuckin jdm bull shit plain and simple is always best.

-chris
Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #65
badname
240ss

badname probable wing man
more stickers increase wing power....

i like this thread...your the new gwar...congratulations...from now on your gwar
________
Bubbler

Last edited by badname; 09-13-2011 at 12:26 PM.
badname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #66
zeropistons
RotaryAbuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutch240 View Post
hey bro do what YOU want. dont worry what the forum regs say. they all just hate, thats why i dont post my shit on here. plus half the people on here do way more lame shit than just putting a fuckin wing on their car. personally i think wings are lame, but if you like em than keep it. although they all cum when they see fuckin jdm bull shit plain and simple is always best.

-chris
I agree, he should do what he wants. Aside from that, a lot of good advice, experience, and research direction has been presented to him. Saying everyone here just hates is untrue. People do give compliments as well as criticism here.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #67
_LJ_
ACCT. LOCKED

_LJ_ probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropistons View Post
I agree, he should do what he wants. Aside from that, a lot of good advice, experience, and research direction has been presented to him. Saying everyone here just hates is untrue. People do give compliments as well as criticism here.
+1 i never even hated on gwars wing on here,....but dude saying that wing helps at the speeds ur can do on ur roads is just IGNORANT! It might weigh enough like Adiamond said, but as far as actually putting downforce from wind, NO F-N WAY! If u have it on there cause u like it cool rock it but dont spit out dumb shit we all know better. I am gonna say u should google this so that u can really understand what most of us are saying. Go wider/larger rims that will help ur traction problem. If u put a ls1 in with ur stock rims ur just gonna spin cirlces int he rain ir ur spinning out now with ur stock KA. But g'luck with ur car , RTFM!!!!! (read the fucking manuals) it will help alot int he future.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #68
Gaijin Smash

Gaijin Smash probable wing man
I just couldn't stop reading this.... It's simple physics man. You'll will see 10x more benefit from a good set of tires than any wing you put on your car at those speeds. Simply put, your wing is NOT creating downforce for you. And as far as it adding weight to give more grip, not unless you filled it with lead. It's all already been said so this is just becoming repetition at this point. I would like to point out 2 things though

1. Your traction issues have more to do with YOU than anything.

2. I find it hilarious and ironic that your team mottos are "leave you speechless" and "not just another car club" and you drive a totally stock 240..... just sayin
Gaijin Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #69
xanavi_D
Fuckin Insane ass motor

xanavi_D Its up in the air
i never learned so much about aerodynamics as i just did in this thread
Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #70
Black Ls-14

FTR I was not bashing his wing nor anything else on his car. I was simply pointing out that his statemants defied physics. I read most people doing the same. Mikespeed knows his shit, ZeroPistons has his shit down, and even dekan was right with the whole "takin 2 shits" being more beneficial than the actual downforce the spoiler makes.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #71
Mikespeed95

Thanks to this thread, I will only use the finest authentic JDM parts on my cars.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #72
LMmira
no mams wei

LMmira probable wing man
^^^ este guey lol
LMmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #73
Black Ls-14

What spoiler are you gonna use with your LS mike?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #74
vipi0
BIG MEANY

vipi0 probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespeed95 View Post
Maybe its because the use of the OEM Ford Taurus sized tires allows enough sidewall flex to widen the contact patch from 215mm to 335mm with the extra .04lb of downforce, on the nylon single ply sidewall, creating soooo much grip that 135rwhp just cannot overcome the immeasurable grip.
first off i hate mike. secondly sometimes he make me laugh so hard a little pee comes out.
vipi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #75
NEVRSLO
H.F.T. KILL

NEVRSLO probable wing man
Quote:
Attention everyone!!!!! When you have a locker and live in Hawaii where it rains everyday and you live up a curvy steep mountian and prefer not to go off a cliff you get a wing and you get it fast even if it happens to be a STI wing. Does it look the best? no. does it provide amazing downforce that keeps my car on the road? yes. so shut your mout if your jus goin talk shit. dont want to hear it and it doesnt impress anyone.
I lived on Maui for 8 years, and not once would you ever get up to speed to need a wing for down force...??? I can say this cause I have a BIG GAY WING on my 350Z and even at MW doing 120mph entrys there still is no differance with or with out... Sorry, But either way to each is there own...

Tags
fucking hawaii, new gwar?!?!?!?, spoiler is a must