Enjuku Racing

Go Back   Houston240sx.com Forums > Houston240sx.com > Media > Member's Rides

Old 12-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

drift_student probable wing man
Project X

Hello H240!

After many cars, I've finally decided to create a build thread on my latest car, a Type-X clone that will be used in the Lone Star Drift Pro-Am series.

But First here are few of the other rides I've played with over the years:

Single-slammer KA hatch:

Drift Shark with 300whp SR:

Black beauty with 330whp SR:

Type-X attempt 1 with 350whp/380wtq SR:

G35 that was too clean to drift:

CTS-V with 700 HP:

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 02:05 PM.
drift_student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

As some of you may know, this build actually starts here:

http://www.houston240sx.com/showthread.php?t=65048

Project X was formerly "Hazel" that was a built E85'd KA-T that Srk2vane (Edward) was building. After grenading two KA's, he decided to part with it and focus on his Kouki as he picked up an EVO X to play with in the interim. As you can see from his build thread, Edward is an extemely detail-oriented person who does not cut corners. So after putting a feeler out for a clean hatch shell, he sent me these:

I was immediately awestruck, as I had always wanted to own an Aztec Red (AG2) Type-X since 2004 when I bought my first hatch.

After digging through Edward's build thread, I noticed that he had built this car from basically scratch from a prime example of a 130,000 mile 1993 hatch (manual):

This was particularly interesting to me because my black hatch started as a mint 1993 hatch (auto) with almost exactly the same mileage. I was glad to have a lead on a decent car that wasn't haggard or wrecked all to hell. I waited anxiously all day at work, practically foaming at the mouth for the chance to see the car in person. Meanwhile, I settled for changing my desktop to this:

So after finally seeing the car, I knew right away that it was coming home with me. I tried negotiating, but Edward, rightfully, wouldn't budge. His price was fair, but hey, everyone wants a deal! After seeing how much he and his girlfriend cared about the car, I told him that I would continue his tradition of not cutting corners. I was honest in the fact that the car would be drifted and that most of the interior would be removed.

At this point, the car was mostly stock other than PBM coilovers, the RPF1s, an ISIS exhaust, and a quick release.

Anyway, I got the car home via flatbed around 8-9pm that same night:

Notice that massive amount of wood ramp-age required to get it off the wrecker. The car was slammed! There was *maybe* 3/4" from dragging the front subframe! And yes, I realize that I am two-times too big for a 240, but we all have our addictions.

Here she is, safe and sound!

My wife loved the Hello Kitty sticker, but it was scraped off approximately 18 seconds after her comment. I also installed some special features to protect the immaculate paint job from the wife's car door any my perpetually grease-laden hands:

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

Days 1 and 2 of working on the car consisted of engine removal. Within a couple of hours I had the engine and transmission ready for removal but had no engine hoist. Edward actually voluteered to come over with his hoist and help me pull it.

Of course there was an abundance of masking tape, cardboard, shop towels, and foam to protect the paint along the way haha:

I even managed to get the entire chassis-side of the engine bay harness out of the car without cutting a single wire. The fuse boxes actually come apart and fit through the oval-shaped openings behind the fenders. A very painful lesson from my last few projects where engine paint was involved.

At this point, I was cataloging and posting every part that I removed for sale. I'm sure at least half of you that read this have been in that thread lol. I'm sure it was annoying, but I managed to part sell or give away every part, nut, and bolt that I didn't want or need.

Final result:

Grandprize:

Not too bad, right? Well, it was:

Bonus prize in every specially marked KA oil pan:

The engine explosion was brutal. It cracked the bell housing on the transmission, broke the starter in two, and shrapnel from the block dented the brake lines, the trans tunnel, and the subframe. I didn't really care since I was sure that I would be swapping in an S15 SR with 6-speed.

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

The suspension on the car was stock but in surprisingly good shape. Underneath, the car looked well-maintained; however, it all had to go. I started with the front suspension:

I placed an order with FRSport for some goodies!

I sent the knuckles and brand new lower control arms to Derrick for angle modification:

While these were away, I cleaned up the subframe:

I love watching aircraft paint remover devour paint!

Grabbed some Maxima tie rods and a new rack and pinion:

Not pictured is the Nismo Power Brace, which I know is super easy to fabricate but I really do love that silver!

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

At this point, I was certain that I wanted an S15 SR swap and that I would be keeping AC. What I was having trouble deciding was how stock I wanted to keep the engine bay and whether or not to cage the car. This was right around the time that the Lone Star Drift TXSL series was announced. I was stoked because I thought this would be perfect for the Type-X and it would mean a cheaper build with an accelerated schedule. While I pondered, I began prepping the engine bay for a total makeover:

Yes, I was an idiot and took everything down to bare metal, followed by self-etching primer, primer sealer, and filler primer. Pay particular attention to how much work I put in the tubs...

And this is how the car sat for the better part of a month while I debated the TXSL series. I love the idea of a grass-roots style series where driver skill more or less sets people apart rather than how much money/hp/tire people can throw into a 240sx. I was torn because I finally had the means for an all-out build, but more importantly a chance to build upon all of the experience gained in my other "builds". And even more importantly, it would eventually give me a chance to used the word build several times in one sentence.

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

I decided to play it safe and only focus on the modifications that would work for Pro-Am, but still be legal for TXSL. The stock brakes were first on the list to go!

I had Z32 brakes on my last car and felt that they were more than sufficient for a ~2700 lb car; however, I felt they were too often dwarfed by wheels, even with the Z33 track rotors. After researching EVO/STI/Sentra Brembo brake calipers, I realized that they were all severely overpriced and that perhaps Z32's in gold wouldn't be so bad afterall.

Fortunatley, I stumbled upon an S14 for sale on Zilvia that had some interesting calipers. CTS-V calipers! I knew first-hand how badass V brakes were and was surprised to find that Mazworx had an adapter kit! The best part was that the whole setup with calipers, pads, rotors, lines, and brackets were about the same price as sourcing out a brand new Z32 swap.

Let's play a game called Will It Fit???

V caliper vs. OEM:

12.5" EVO VIII rotor vs. OEM:

Final product:

And yes, my 17's cleared with a small spacer!

For the rear, I decided to do the full Z32 setup with the e-brake. However, good condition calipers were so hard to find that I got two pair. The second pair should be easy to sell, or I could always use them for a dual caliper setup :

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

My boredom got the best of me one weekend while the wife was out of town and I started a wire tuck a midnight on a Saturday night. Two soldering irons, 6 rolls of electrical tape, and 50+ wire extensions later it was almost 7am and I was done.

Trailer wiring worked well since it's already in strands of 4, decent gauge, and super cheap!

Fuse boxes were relocated into the glove box. I used the Dremel tool to hollow out the door to make sure it would close. I plan on cleaning this up and eventually consolidating to only one box. The bulk of the work, which is all the wire extensions and removals of useless wiring, is done. I also have something in mind for the engine harness, so I didn't want to get too ahead of myself.

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

So after much debate, the sale of an S15 SR, and an attempted purchase of yet another S15 SR, I broke free from my Nissan/turbo roots and hopped on the LS bandwagon. I decided to "try" it out and revert back if I couldn't stand the noise (like the sound of a grunting VQ... ewwwwww) or wasn't pleased with the performance (doubtful). Nothing is permanent, and there was plenty of time before the Lone Star Series starts, so I went for it.

I decided that I would ultimately swap in an LS3 or an LSA from a CTS-V or ZL-1, but first I would pick up an LS1 to get it running. The issue with the LS2/3/A/7's is that they are all drive by wire, i.e. no throttle cable, and require an electronic gas pedal. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but when I had the V tuners would alter the throttle response tables to make cars "feel" faster and I just prefer a cable. You can swap the crankshaft timing reluctor wheels, throttle bodies, and a few sensors from the LS1 and you're good to go. Since I planned to use the more affordable T-56 in place of the TR-6060 anway, an LS1 swap would work just fine and I would have everything in place to swap in an LS3/A later (if required).

So I saw a posing here for a complete GTO swap and picked it up. Props to Jay @ DOPEPICS for the lead. It is a complete GTO swap that had been disassembled, but all the parts were there besides the starter and the price was decent.

I got it home and began taking an inventory of what was there and what I needed just to get it running:

I made sure the wiring harness was all there and started a list of gaskets and sensors that I would need. BTW, the stock clutch, wiring harness, valve covers, and GTO oil pan are all posted in the For Sale section!

As I started cleaning the engine, I noticed some bad news:

There was noticeable piston slap in two cylinders and a third had pitting from the previous owner letting water sit in it. I was disappointed to say the least, but I decided to strip it down and take it to the machine shop before making any more decisions.

I chose Scroggins Machine since I heard they did great work and I am pleased to confirm. Unfortunatley, the engine needed to be bored over .007" to clean up the cylinder walls which required new pistons. I kept the factory rods since they are good for 500+hp and replaced all the bearings, had the crank polished, block decked and torque plate honed. For the heads, I kept them stock but replaced all the seals, intake valves, and springs. I plan on a nasty cam, but more on that later.

Nothing like a fresh engine that you can eat off of! I will actually feel bad putting oil in this thing!

Since I have a ton of decisions to make about the cam, clutch, harness, and accessories, I decided to put the engine on hold while I waited for gaskets, seals, and sensors.

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

Now that I was making progress on the drivetrain, I focused on the interior. Since I went with the LS, I knew there was a good chance that I would not make the TXSL series, but rather have to compete in the Pro-Am series. Obviously, a bolt-in cage would not be an option. I began prepping the car for some cage work.

The hardest part of this build was when I had to remove a perfectly complete interior that was in great shape! Not to mention both automatic seatbelts worked! Oh well!

It's all gone now, so don't ask! I gave it away for free!

Next came the dry ice (hard part):

Then came the paint thinner/gasoline (easy part):

The wheel wells are stupid hard to get clean. Looking back, I recommend just painting over the sound deadening. They literally took 60% of the time it took to strip the whole interior!

Found more chassis wiring I don't need!

Went tub shopping at Tractor Supply (9" x 32" with back):

Then I loaded up for the 4 hour drive to Killeen, Texas where Arsenal Garage would take care of my tub and cage install:

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

So Arsenal Fab and Drift (part of Arsenal Garage) is basically the same group of guys from the old Streetworks shop. The main fabricator is another Pro-Am driver, John Riggs. I am positive you all would recognize his ultra-wide, LS1 S13.5 drifting on Works lol.

Anyway, check out their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/AFDrift?ref=br_tf

Expect to see a number of drivers next season with their support. They can do pretty much anything, including paint and body work. Don't pay attention to the shop too much since it is a temporary space while they are renovating their own shop, which is spotless and state of the art. I was lucky that they were able to squeeze me in during this transition, especially since they were booked solid for the month of December with cages motor swaps alone.

Once at Arsenal Garage, the cage was knocked out in record time:

And work began on the wheel tubs up front in between coats of primer:

In the midst of all of this, I took advantage of one of their lifts and a sledgehammer to massage the trans tunnel to accept the massive T-56. Did I take it too far, sure! But every thread I have ever read about an LS swap stated that they ended up pulling the engine again to hammer out the tunnel! I opted to do it once!

I also helped mask the car for paint, hence the hodge-podge of materials. Generally, AF does all of the work and has a turnaround of about a week or so, but I needed the car back in 3 days. Yes, 3 days. This pretty much meant that we worked non-stop in between coats of primer and paint! This isn't a typical service, but just a good example of how flexible AF Garage can be while still achieving top notch fabrication quality!

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Srk2vane

Srk2vane probable wing man
Awesome build thread. Can't wait to see it done.
96-Zenki Sally (stolen)
98-kouki Zilvia (being built)
93-Hatch Naomi (sold)
92-Hatch shell (sold)
90-coupe shell (gave it away)
89-Coupe Azzure (rb25det project sold)
92-hatch Amanda (Sr 180sx type x project) parted
93-hatch Hazel (Ka-t 180sx type x v2) sold
13-evo 10 mr (daily)
Srk2vane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
DayTex

DayTex probable wing man
Looking good so far!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
blackjack832

blackjack832 probable wing man
Looking good, on the rear brakes will you be using the 300zx or R33 e-brake cables?
blackjack832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #14
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

I'll start this post with another bonus picture of John's car:

He's overhauling it during the off-season and it is clean! He's got an enclosed trailer and will be in kill mode next Pro-Am season!

Now for the not-so-good stuff! Typically paint is done in a booth, but since I was in a hurry and we're only talking an engine bay and caged interior that will get dirty regardless, I opted for the shortcut route in light of my time crunch.

I choose to have a totally red car, Because Red Car. The color is the same AG2 as the exterior, but single stage for ease of application and durability. It will also be easier to touch up after the inevitable scuffs and scrapes it will receive.

The bay was painted first:

Next, the interior:

And, of course, my poor attempt at the obligatory gas station shot lol:

Yes, that's a ton of red. I don't care, I love red. My second choice was bass boat-style metal flake silver but there's always next time! I plan on touch up painting a few portions of the car and cage once I figure out my wiring and spare tire well situation. For now, it's pretty damn close and looks good to me!

Anyway, you guys are now caught up in real time with me. I am currently waiting for gaskets and planning the attack on the performance aspect of the build.

I am defintely not out of photos, so let me know if there is anything in particular that you guys want more detail of. This is my first build thread, so I wasn't sure what to focus on.

Last edited by drift_student; 12-29-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srk2vane View Post
Awesome build thread. Can't wait to see it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTex View Post
Looking good so far!
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack832 View Post
Looking good, on the rear brakes will you be using the 300zx or R33 e-brake cables?
I plan on using the R33 cables now that they are easier to come by these days. I think the problem with the S13 is that it is longer than the S14 and Z32, so you either have to modify the Z32 cables or run the R33's. I could be wrong, I've been wrong before lol.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #16
Big_Sticks
Drift:Modded

Big_Sticks probable wing man
Awesome stuff guy, good to see you still hanging in there

'05 GTO : Quicksilver Metallic 6.0 6spd I/h/e 1khp DSS Drive shaft = DD
'05 Dodge : 2500 Cummins stock mrs. Gas saver

Created with Gifboom

Big_Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #17
XMcEvilson
█▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓█

XMcEvilson probable wing man
Nice. will be a fun car fo sho
XMcEvilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #18
corby_baby

corby_baby probable wing man
looks great!
corby_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #19
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

Thanks guys!

So not much to update but this came in:

Its the full CXRacing swap kit with a full catback exhaust. I originally wanted to run straight pipe but figured this would save me some time and I love ricer jumbo can out back lol.

For engine wiring, I went with the Wiring Specialties Pro setup. WS is super legit, their product is way beyond what I expected and the staff, especially Yuri, was very knowledgeable. I elected to have them add the Dakota Digital speedo calibration setup and the wiring for keeping AC. I also got the adapters to allow the stock cluster to show oil pressure and water temp. More on this later...

Also, work has been super slow and I stumbled upon Stuner.net and (in Jesse's voice) "made these renderings of what the car will look like all put together... with overnight parts from Ja... the US". Still gotta add the cage and exhaust and some other small stuff, but you get the idea.

My list of needed parts is long and distinguished like my... well never mind that. But seriously, I still need to order a lot of parts. Mostly gaskets and my cam/pushrod setup.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
Killa_D
waht RB

Killa_D watch out ebayKilla_D watch out ebay
Damn nice build..

NEED A HIGH PRESSURE P/S LINE Click the link:

http://www.houston240sx.com/showthre...850#post878850

Killa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #21
Hiighboost2
214KMile KAT

Hiighboost2 probable wing man
This is the kind of build I like. Looking forward to seeing it completed!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #22
RurouniMidnight
Street Blood

RurouniMidnight probable wing man
Can't go wrong with type X and red haha. Great looking car and build, keep it rollin!
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #23
SilverSophie
Lady boy

SilverSophie probable wing man
Attention to detail! Well done my friend! Keep it up!

whats up with those interior pieces doe'??
Old 01-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #24
FWD KA24DE-T

FWD KA24DE-T probable wing man
Hopefully you like the cx racing kit. Only think I kept from mine was headers, mounts and exhaust. Awesome build nonetheless.
FWD KA24DE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
drift_student
(╯□)╯︵ ┻┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSophie View Post
Attention to detail! Well done my friend! Keep it up!

whats up with those interior pieces doe'??
I gave the interior away for free here on H240.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWD KA24DE-T View Post
Hopefully you like the cx racing kit. Only think I kept from mine was headers, mounts and exhaust. Awesome build nonetheless.
More details please! The only other parts you didn't list are the oil pan and driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_D View Post
Damn nice build..
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiighboost2 View Post
This is the kind of build I like. Looking forward to seeing it completed!
Glad to hear! I'm hoping to snag a few suggestions or teach someone something new along the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniMidnight View Post
Can't go wrong with type X and red haha. Great looking car and build, keep it rollin!
There's a reason why it might seem played out, it just works so well. Your builds have always been among my favorite! I'm hoping to keep the car clean and well thought out like yours. I can't wait to put some Works on this thing.