Houston240sx.com Forums  
Enjuku Racing

Go Back   Houston240sx.com Forums > Houston240sx.com > Media > Member's Rides

Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
reppin tha H

reppin tha H probable wing man
LSx Coupe Build

Whats up guys, I've never really done a true build before so now that i have started one i thought i would make a thread on the progress. I bought the car a little over a year ago from AwesomeO as basically a stock car with coilovers. After an event or two i decided i wanted to go ka-t, so thats what i ran this year.

The ka-t was a lot of fun, especially at this last event once i had the setup in pretty good shape. But ive always wanted to put an LS series engine in this car, not only because of the power, but mainly for the experience of doing it and fabbing everything myself. I pulled the whole drivetrain earlier this week and sold it.

Ive been getting most of the major parts together to start the build and have finally gotten enough together start moving on the swap.

Parts List So far:
5.3L LM7
T56 trans
LS6 intake manifold
f-body accessories and wp
gto oil pan
Ls2 c6 headers

We decided that even though i wont be competing in the Lonestar series for quite a while that it would be best to have a roll cage. And just like most 240's, my front end is all sorts of fucked. So, today we hacked off the front end and started gutting the interior. Thanks to AwesomeO and gregman for giving me a hand and some ideas for the build

Before:

After:

And Some other shots from this weekend

Hopefully next weekend i will have some more updates once i get the tubing for the front end and cage, and my trans. Thanks for checkin it out!
reppin tha H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
XMcEvilson
█▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓█

XMcEvilson probable wing man
Nice project
XMcEvilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
AwesomeO
is Awesome

AwesomeO probable wing man
Keep up the great work! I know youll have it ready for next ggp for sure.

AwesomeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
ka24detmonster

ka24detmonster probable wing man
Nice I'm also tubing my front end and want to put a cage but I'm looking to see who could do it and have to ask are you going to do the fab work or who are you having to do the fab work ?
ka24detmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
Castro1265
[ Hoonigan ]

Castro1265 probable wing man
Justin Garner hit him up on FB
This is his work.

Street car: 90 240sx s13 hatch w/ ka24de swap
Castro1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
bullfrogg0
2j40sx

bullfrogg0 probable wing man
I know who's gonna do the fab work....its not him but I'll never tell who is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnafuPossum View Post
Its a 240, it'll never be worth putting money into it. Just build what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinum View Post
Preston is my hero!!
1989 S13 Coupe 2jz powered
2002 Explorer Sport 5spd
1995 Altima 5spd
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
reppin tha H

Actually, I am going to do the fab work. I have never really worked with tubing but I design pipe at work, and I can MIG weld pretty well. Of course I won't be doing it alone, I have some great friends that will be giving me a hand.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
copdodger
solo

copdodger probable wing man
Not bashing, but why tube the front? What are the advantages? If it's just cause you want to, that's understandable. Anyways glwb
Old 12-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
reppin tha H

I'm doing the tube front for several reasons. The front end on the car had obviously been wrecked and everything was wrinkled and twisted. Also, by removing the front end I thought it would make fabbing motor mounts and notching the crossmember a little easier. We also want to design the front end to allow the engine to be removed in about 30 minutes, and it will be going in and out several times in the next couple weeks so shoehorning it in over the core support was gonna get real old real fast . Finally, I wanted to do it just for the experience. The best way to learn how to do something is to jump in head first and do it, so we got a little trigger happy with the sawzall
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
jmac636

jmac636 probable wing man
If you're not going to cut the cross member the shifter is going to be to far forward using the GTO oem oil pan. You either notch the cross member or notch the pan. Trust me I'm doing my second LS swap right now. I'm almost done gathering parts. Just need belts and hoses. Next week I'm on vacation so I'll have it in and running within 2 to 3 days after starting the build. The first swap I built my own mounts. This time I'm using hooker engine mounts ($239) and hooker 1 7/8" headers ($509). So cheap and well designed. Good luck and if you need some advice hit me up.

1995 Nissan 240sx Synergy green / Turbo LS1
1992 Nissan 240sx black drift slut /LS2 6.0
http://www.playloudclothing.com/
jmac636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
reppin tha H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac636 View Post
If you're not going to cut the cross member the shifter is going to be to far forward using the GTO oem oil pan. You either notch the cross member or notch the pan. Trust me I'm doing my second LS swap right now. I'm almost done gathering parts. Just need belts and hoses. Next week I'm on vacation so I'll have it in and running within 2 to 3 days after starting the build. The first swap I built my own mounts. This time I'm using hooker engine mounts ($239) and hooker 1 7/8" headers ($509). So cheap and well designed. Good luck and if you need some advice hit me up.
Thanks for the input man, ive been following your build thread for a while now and it has given me a lot of good information. Im definitely going to notch the crossmember out, i just put the engine in there to kind of get an idea of how much i was gonna have to cut out. Once the trans gets here i will go ahead and start cutting it up and take a bfh to the tunnel. I will definitely be hitting you up with some info on some of the parts that you used. I plan on using an aluminum driveshaft for an f-body so if you could point me in the direction of the conversion parts u used that would be sweet. Also, I'd like to check your car out in person some time if thats cool
Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
reppin tha H

So not too much has gotten done in the last two weeks because of work, but heres a small update. My front crossmember was bent where the rack bolt down so i got a free one from bullfrog. Thanks broski! So i notched it enough to get the motor in. Later I'm going to cut a little more off of it and reinforce it.

Next, I beat the hell out of the trans tunnel and made the motor mounts and trans mount.

And today we started working on the front end. Neither of us have really bent or measured tube, so we didnt get a whole lot done, but it was pretty cool learning how to do it.

I also started ordering some new parts this weekend, all thats really left to get the motor running is the clutch/flywheel, harness/ecu, and various fuel system parts. Ill aslo need to get my driveshaft shortened just a bit. where i have the motor placed, the aluminum f-body shaft i picked up is just a hair too long. I'm so stoked to get this thing driving!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
bullfrogg0
2j40sx

bullfrogg0 probable wing man
I got dibs on the first race

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnafuPossum View Post
Its a 240, it'll never be worth putting money into it. Just build what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinum View Post
Preston is my hero!!
1989 S13 Coupe 2jz powered
2002 Explorer Sport 5spd
1995 Altima 5spd
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
reppin tha H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogg0 View Post
I got dibs on the first race
You got it man, but we both know who is gonna win
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
reppin tha H

Got a little more done on the front end today. Tomorrow morning we are going to work on the tubing to for the radiator, headlights, hood etc. Its pretty crazy what you can do if you just give it a shot and think about what you're doing.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
AwesomeO
is Awesome

AwesomeO probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin tha H View Post
Got a little more done on the front end today. Tomorrow morning we are going to work on the tubing to for the radiator, headlights, hood etc. Its pretty crazy what you can do if you just give it a shot and think about what you're doing.

MAAAD ANGLE YO!

great job broski!

AwesomeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
guitardave06
z0rz

guitardave06 probable wing man
This is going to be pretty sweet when it's done! Good luck with your build man.
UNOFFICIAL STICKS MEMBER #0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceman View Post
my mafs was brand new from 786 and my vac lines were also done there so i doubt that would be it.
Lol!

Getting the funds together for another S-14
guitardave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Revert

Revert probable wing man
Is bending and measuring hard? Ill be needing to do this soon too. How much did you spend on materials?
Looks mad awesome so far. Keep at it
Revert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
reppin tha H

Thanks guys! Im surprising myself at how well its coming out. The bending and measuring isnt too difficult, but i am using my autocad software from work for some of it and it makes things a little easier. There is a website ive seen that has a formula that helps you figure out the amount of stretch for the bends so you can cut the right length of tube. You may even be able to find a free program that will help you design it. I would say that as long as you have the right tools and you take your time, its not something you can't do.

As for materials, i bought 120' of 1-3/4" and 20' of 1-1/4" DOM tubing. I paid a little over $500 for all of it. I ordered .120 wall (11GA) because it was going to take the supplier a week or two to get .095 in, and well, .120 wall is a little easier for me to weld. Right now its unclear if i ordered too much, or not enough. But, i would say get more than you need, because it will take some time to really figure out how the measurements work.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
vIn@dRiFt@"
xXTHE HUDZXx

vIn@dRiFt@" probable wing man
Beast build bro, what do you do for a living ?

Don't Cross Me Betch!!!
vIn@dRiFt@" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
reppin tha H

My buddy that's helping me is a sailboat salesman and I am a designer at a cryogenic trailer manufacturing facility. More updates to follow, we're just about finished with the headlight/radiator support which is the last structural part of the front end.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
reppin tha H

Here is what we got done today. We were going to make the top bar removable, but we decided for strength and simplicity to not worry about it. Last pic is of our bender setup

Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
ka24detmonster

ka24detmonster probable wing man
Looking good man keep up the work
ka24detmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
s!lv!a

s!lv!a probable wing man
Any updates on this??

'07 Z33 SMB
'95 S14 SE / Kouki
s!lv!a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #25
reppin tha H

Yup, ive been so busy i forgot to update the thread. So in the last month we have basically finished the cage, and are about 2 weeks from starting the car. The cage work was pretty intense, but after a bit of wasted tubing we were able to slowly get it together. Its definitely not the prettiest thing ever but we're happy with it. We've got a few more things to do with the chassis before paint. Seats and harness bar will go in next week. We also weighed the chassis at this point just for shits and giggles and i came out at 1650lbs, so wer're hoping to be just a little over factory weight when its fully assembled.

The engine that i picked up ended up having a broken ring that scored cyl 1. I ended up buying another motor that came with all the accessories and harness/ecu. It had around 100k miles and sat for a while so i decided to rebuild it. I picked up an Ls6 cam and valvetrain for pretty cheap so i picked that up, and ill be reassembling to motor this weekend. Ive got a spec clutch and fidanza flywheel on the way, and ill probably get my driveshaft shortened next week, so i should be able to drive it pretty soon.