Houston240sx.com Forums  
Enjuku Racing

Go Back   Houston240sx.com Forums > Houston240sx.com > Tech Discussion > General Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
ADiamond240sx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
What Does it Mean when the Engine Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs240sx View Post
white smoke = coolant
grey or bluish smoke = oil
black smoke = fuel

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/troubleshoot_smoke.htm
Places that the car leaks oil into the combustion chamber are the valve guides and the rings. Preform a leak down test to determine the extent of the problem. If you smoke on start up and it goes away it may just be valve guides. If you smoke constantly it might be your rings.

For White smoke you most likely have a blown head. Preform a leak down test and check the oil and coolant. If the oil looks like a milkshake your head is done. If the coolant looks oily you have oil in the water and your head is probably done. You can also check for water exiting the car though the exhaust but be aware that many cars have condensation in the exhaust for the first few minutes after start up.

THICK WHITE SMOKE WITH BLUE TINT FROM TURBO'ed CAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKILLER View Post
Sounds like a blown turbo. Pull the intercooler piping open and check for oil, if theres any there, the turbo is dead. If there isn't any in the intake side, pull the outlet pipe off and check in there. If theres no oil anywhere your turbo should be fine.


How to do a compression test:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanavi_D View Post
1. get compression gauge from o'rileys or autozone
2. remove the fuel pump fuse before you do this so the car won't start. (Dekansnowman)
3. take out all spark plugs
4. screw the gauge into cyl 1
5. open throttle body with your hand
6. have someone go inside the car and start cranking the engine
but make sure you have the throttle wide open, otherwise you will get incorrect readings. this is a mistake a lot of people make (appleburger)
7. crank for about 5 seconds or until the needle on the gauge stops jumping up
8, take out of cyl 1 and repeat 3 more times.

be sure to take out all the spark plugs tho or at least disconnect wires, you dont want that shit starting on you when you crank it.

Hope this helps some people. Feel free to add to the list if you have USEFUL and RELEVANT information.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Bourngoofy89
I Miss Texas
 
Bourngoofy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spangdahlem, Germany/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,366
Bourngoofy89 probable wing man
hmm good info but it still doesnt solve my problem...


i have a slight bit of white smoke on my car and my oil looks regular and the coolant look like normal coolant (no oil or anything looks like a transparent green cause of antifreeze)



any idea what it could be?


could it be oil but its so little smoke that it looks white or what?
__________________
Bourngoofy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
appleburger
insinkerator
 
appleburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SE
Posts: 4,382
appleburger probable wing man
the grey/blue smoke is easily mistaken for the white smoke. the most common smoking is probably from oil burnoff. could be any number of things causing it from worn piston rings to some other bad seal in the engine.
__________________
appleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Bourngoofy89
I Miss Texas
 
Bourngoofy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spangdahlem, Germany/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,366
Bourngoofy89 probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleburger View Post
the grey/blue smoke is easily mistaken for the white smoke. the most common smoking is probably from oil burnoff. could be any number of things causing it from worn piston rings to some other bad seal in the engine.
alright thanks ill look into it and post back up here when i have it figured out
__________________
Bourngoofy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
jackasspyro2
I fuck cats
 
jackasspyro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Space
Posts: 1
jackasspyro2 Its up in the air
sweet find
jackasspyro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
ADiamond240sx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourngoofy89 View Post
hmm good info but it still doesnt solve my problem...


i have a slight bit of white smoke on my car and my oil looks regular and the coolant look like normal coolant (no oil or anything looks like a transparent green cause of antifreeze)



any idea what it could be?


could it be oil but its so little smoke that it looks white or what?
Is it only at start up or constantly? Does the engine consume oil? Does it consume water? Do you get horrible gas mileage? It might be fuel, try smelling the exhaust. Also, put your hand about 1 too 2 inches away from the exhaust at idle and see if you get black spots from oil on your hand. Also see if your hand ends up smelling like gas.

Do a leak down test regardless.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Bourngoofy89
I Miss Texas
 
Bourngoofy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spangdahlem, Germany/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,366
Bourngoofy89 probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADiamond240sx View Post
Is it only at start up or constantly? Does the engine consume oil? Does it consume water? Do you get horrible gas mileage? It might be fuel, try smelling the exhaust. Also, put your hand about 1 too 2 inches away from the exhaust at idle and see if you get black spots from oil on your hand. Also see if your hand ends up smelling like gas.

Do a leak down test regardless.
its at start up and in hi revs (i dont do that often) and it doesnt consume either (but i dont really drive the car all that much)

and yeah ill try that thanks for the info
__________________
Bourngoofy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
speedyg
Registered User
 
speedyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: channelview
Posts: 440
speedyg probable wing man
i have the same problem!!! when i turn on the car i get a white greyish looking smoke. This also happens when i stop at a light or in traffic, once i take off from time to time it will blow smoke to the car behind me. I notice it is mainly when i let the car idle and then rev it, a good amount of smoke will come out. The exhaust smells like a shit load of gas if you drive behind me you can smell it all my friends tell me. Last but not least i only get 20 miles per gallon on my KA and its automatic. I drive alot and for $20 which is 5.6 to 5.8 Gallons of gas i will get from 122-160 miles of drive time. I also burn oil (I only use mobil 1 10w30 synthetic) but drive kinda hard and alot. I only refill the overflow like every 3 months but its super hot outside. I think it may possibly have to do with my catylitic converter looks extremely old under car. Hopefully you guys can help me solve my problem.
__________________

Last edited by speedyg; 08-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.
speedyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
RedstarDriver
Dammit Boy
 
RedstarDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Houston
Posts: 1,951
RedstarDriver probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
i have the same problem!!! when i turn on the car i get a white greyish looking smoke. This also happens when i stop at a light or in traffic, once i take off from time to time it will blow smoke to the car behind me. I notice it is mainly when i let the car idle and then rev it, a good amount of smoke will come out. The exhaust smells like a shit load of gas if you drive behind me you can smell it all my friends tell me. Last but not least i only get 20 miles per gallon on my KA and its automatic. I drive alot and for $20 which is 5.6 to 5.8 Gallons of gas i will get from 122-160 miles of drive time. I also burn oil (I only use mobil 1 10w30 synthetic) but drive kinda hard and alot. I only refill the overflow like every 3 months but its super hot outside. I think it may possibly have to do with my catylitic converter looks extremely old under car. Hopefully you guys can help me solve my problem.

Your valve stem seals are shot
Just get the head rebuilt
__________________
RedstarDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
speedyg
Registered User
 
speedyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: channelview
Posts: 440
speedyg probable wing man
damn it nahh im not really interested in rebuilding the head im thinking about a ls motor or a sr20 with a fat ass turbo not really sure U of H Drained my bank account yesterday. Now i am sad and kind of broke.
__________________
speedyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Gulli Theme By M@TR1XC0D3