Houston240sx.com Forums  
Enjuku Racing

Go Back   Houston240sx.com Forums > Houston240sx.com > Tech Discussion > General Maintenance

Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Revert

Revert probable wing man
S14 ka

My car is not getting spark. What else cause this other then bad dizzy cables rotor. I also tried putting the dizzy in tdc. Any fuses relays??
Revert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Drazun

Drazun probable wing man
Could be:

-ecu
-bad coil (new dizzy)
-check your alternator fuse.

im sure there are other things but thats what i know went wrong with my s13.
Drazun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Revert

Revert probable wing man
Swap ecu's changed dizzy and fuses are good =\
I get voltage to the coil also its just not getting spark
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
PacS14
Kouki Daily

PacS14 probable wing man
Did you swap known good parts? Or did you just put in parts you had laying around? Or could be new but still bad sometimes. By changing the dizzy, do you mean the entire distributor with cap and rotor? anyway if you are sure you have replaced or used good parts do the following:

1- Check your cap and rotor, if not new, might be worth getting them new or just clean it up real good and make sure there is no corrosion on the contacts or that they are not worn out.
2- Check your spark plug cables for continuity.
3- If you have not replaced your spark plugs in a while they might be bad, you can test them too.
4- If you did in fact replace the whole distributor you probably put the new/used distributor the wrong way and screwed up your timing there.
5- I don't know if it applies to you, but if you have a external coil (outside the distributor) and no voltage coming out of there to the distributor, the coil itself is bad.

Give more details as far as year of your s14, OBDI or OBDII or we could assume depending on the year model. Also were they new parts you swapped in, or just parts someone with a running car let you borrowed to test your car (better option if available) if you only swapped your cap and rotor then the distributor itself might be bad and you will need a new one, but check your grounds first. Good luck troubleshooting!

Last edited by PacS14; 03-26-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added one more step
PacS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Revert

Revert probable wing man
The parts used were used but were working. Changed cap and rotor. And as far as putting thr dizzy on right. I read you had to put it on top dead center and line up the dots on the dizzy. I did that.

Well the car is a s13 with a s14 engine,harness ecu. It was running and then one day it just cranked and cranked never to turn back on. So thats when i thought the dizzy went out so got another one.
And thats where i stand now
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
PacS14
Kouki Daily

PacS14 probable wing man
Ok, look for future reference unless you are certain that "x" part on your car is bad don't replace it (I used to do that too and it can lead to a unnecessary waste of money).

No you don't line up no dots to put the distributor in right. You have to put the engine at TDC, then remove the cap of the distributor and make sure that once you put the distributor is in the rotor is pointing at what would be the number one cylinder, it will more than likely take a couple of stabs of putting it in and moving the rotor again to line it up correctly, you want to make sure the bolt that holds the distributor in place end up being around the center of the groove/slot for it to be good. Once you do this and the rotor is at number 1 cylinder and the bolt is almost at the center you are almost perfect, just use a timing light to fine tune the timing and you are good to go.

Last edited by PacS14; 03-26-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
PacS14
Kouki Daily

PacS14 probable wing man
This is the best write up I can find and will explain it better and has pictures.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/240...or-timing.html

After you do this try to start your car, if it still does not start check again for fuel pressure and spark. And maybe, just maybe your battery.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Drazun

Drazun probable wing man
is this a gold hatch? with a red hood?
Drazun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Retro
LowBall King

Retro probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazun View Post
is this a gold hatch? with a red hood?
lol!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Revert

Revert probable wing man
I actually followed what that link says.
I have fuel the spark plugs get wet and i can hear the pressure build

And yes yes it is that hatch lol
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
young simba
ayy lmao

young simba probable wing man
Lol told you not to fuck with that cursed ass car.
young simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
j2thac

j2thac probable wing man
Check the crank sensor
j2thac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Retro
LowBall King

Retro probable wing man
replace the harness, fuck it.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
PacS14
Kouki Daily

PacS14 probable wing man
Start all over again with the troubleshooting.

1- Test for spark at the distributor remove the fuel pump relay before you start testing. If you do get spark out of the distributor test the cables and then the spark plugs themselves or just replace them. (and at the coil if you have a external one, if you swapped the harness from the s14 you shouldn't be using the s13 external coil or s13 distributor, if you are that could be your problem) with a tester from harbor freight (they are cheap there) http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=spark+tester

2-If you get no spark at the distributor, test the harness for voltage, see if the plug going to the distributor is getting power (look up the FSM or google to see if someone made a simple go by on testing the plug for voltage).

3- Long story short start with the distributor and follow the stuff back to the ECM when testing for spark. If you did get voltage out of the distributor then either your cables or your spark plugs or both are fried. replace them.

4- Your IACV valve in the back of the manifold might be clogged, remove the vacuum hose going to it and shoot some carb cleaner down there while the car is off and some more when you are trying to turn it on (worth a shot).

By now your spark plugs should be fouled, unless you clean them off with something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumat...l#.UzQ70PldWFU or used fine sand paper to clean them off.

What was the first thing that you did when the car did not start? The whole cleaning the spark plugs or replace them should have been the first thing to do.

Last edited by PacS14; 03-27-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
jackasspyro2
I fuck cats

jackasspyro2 Its up in the air
check yo grounds
jackasspyro2 is offline   Reply With Quote