Houston240sx.com Forums  
Enjuku Racing

Go Back   Houston240sx.com Forums > Meets & Events > Drift

Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Gaijin Smash

Gaijin Smash probable wing man
#TXSL questions

Copied and pasted from the FM forum. Not sure where Aaron hangs out.

1. Cars must be full interior.
What does "full" consist of? There are going to be a handful of interference points with a roll/cage that would have to be removed/modified. I'm sure most people would prefer to sell good plastics/back seats than cut holes in them.

2. Engines must be stock other than general maintenance, exhausts and intake systems are open. Cars must have a muffler. That does not mean you can add a turbo to an engine that doesn’t have one, that means you can add an aftermarket exhaust with a muffler. Stock ECU may be tuned as there is no real method for us to stop this.

Does this last part apply to all unseen modifications? Cams? Stroker kits? I'm sure nobody is out to murder the rules but doing a cam/cams is a real possibility, especially for a cheap upgrade to a pushrod v8.

9. All cars must run Kenda tires as a way to keep costs lower for all other teams. You may petition to run a different tire if Kenda does not make a tire small enough for your vehicle. You may petition to run a different tire brand if you have an extenuating circumstance such as a Formula Drift sponsorship stating you cannot run a competition tire brand. Other than those reasons, everyone must run Kenda Tires in this class. This is in an effort to make the series more affordable for all the drivers, and to simplify the rule book.

U wot?
In what way would this make the series more affordable? It's not like someone's going to feel like they can't compete because somebody else is in a 200hp m3 with 265 RT615K's (Not going to work well). What makes all Am level drifting even remotely affordable is that you have the option to run whatever tires you find whether it's a decent set of used tires or whatever's on sale at onlinetires.com.

I can personally say this is a make it or break it rule for me. If I have to run Kendas, I'll just use the winter to prep the car for Round 1 next year.

10. Light weight components such as carbon fiber doors, trunks, or hoods may not be used. Glass may not be replaced with lexan. Cars must retain their head lights.

Will there be exeptions made for prohibitively expensive replacement glass? Rear quarter glass ain't cheap.

11. No hydro ebrakes may be used unless permission is granted through a petition, such as cars which do not have a handle style from the factory like a 240SX. Any car with handle style ebrake must use the stock ebrake assembly.

I understand that not everyone can afford this modification (which can be had for the price of 1.5 Kenda tires) but does it really provide an unfair advantage? How is having a predictable e-brake any different than coilovers or a big brake kit? I personally would prefer not to go head first into a solid object when the sloppy cable brake fails me.... again.

I'm happy that there is supposed to be a consistent entry level series. But does it really need anything but power to weight restrictions?
Gaijin Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
XMcEvilson
█▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓█

XMcEvilson probable wing man
I saw that in the wrecked magazine article. is it a separate thing from the normal tx drift events ?
XMcEvilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
PacS14
Kouki Daily

PacS14 probable wing man
Lol at the affordable rules... Glad I'm not into drifting. Good luck to all those of you that do! And post them pictures up!!!
PacS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
RotaDrifta69

RotaDrifta69 probable wing man
Just google D1 Street Legal. You'll find LS1 Silvia's and Silvia's with fully built SR's and nitrous/turbo combos....

Sounds like full interior race cars to me :/ What's the point?!

If we can't go forced induction, Mustangs and 350z's are pretty much the only way to go.

Last edited by RotaDrifta69; 08-19-2014 at 08:04 PM.
RotaDrifta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Gaijin Smash

Gaijin Smash probable wing man
Yes, this is a separate series from the ProAm that just wrapped up.

Rota, that's why I'm saying power to weight is the only way to keep competition fair. Miatas stand no chance without real power mods.
Gaijin Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
dragonWraith
uroboros

dragonWraith probable wing man
Yeah sounds a lot like d1 grand prix rules. Street legal car even down to functional radio no motor swap or asperation changes. Basically show room car plus cage, nos, and suspension

72 s30 r.i.p.
91 rps13 r.i.p.
87 ae86 sold
95 s14 project
dragonWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
RurouniMidnight
Street Blood

RurouniMidnight probable wing man
The rules are not set in Stone yet, Aaron is working on a rulebook and will be making changes as he goes along until final. The November 1st GGP event will hold a test run of the new series to gain feedback as well.

Basically this series is for people who want to keep their cars nice and not have to build some crazy Pro am car with a lot of horsepower or tube frame front ends gutted racecars that have to be trailered to events.

It is following along similar guidelines as D1 street legal in Japan. Basically cars you can drive to the track drift and drive home. Cars must have full interiors, Ac components, radios, and some sort of roll cage with door bars. Bolt in cages with door bars are permissible. Motor swaps from same car manufacturer are allowed also. 1jz in sc300 etc... SR swaps right now have to keep stock turbo and injectors that go along with motor, cams or unseen items are not really encouraged. You can run any front tires but Kendas in the rear to keep things level and affordable. Motors that come NA are not allowed to have any turbos added but a car that already has this can be petitioned in, same with the hydro ebrake rule.

This series is awesome and encourages people to make cool sustainable drift cars, without breaking the bank. Hope this sheds a little insight, Thanks!
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
RotaDrifta69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniMidnight View Post
The rules are not set in Stone yet, Aaron is working on a rulebook and will be making changes as he goes along until final. The November 1st GGP event will hold a test run of the new series to gain feedback as well.

Basically this series is for people who want to keep their cars nice and not have to build some crazy Pro am car with a lot of horsepower or tube frame front ends gutted racecars that have to be trailered to events.

It is following along similar guidelines as D1 street legal in Japan. Basically cars you can drive to the track drift and drive home. Cars must have full interiors, Ac components, radios, and some sort of roll cage with door bars. Bolt in cages with door bars are permissible. Motor swaps from same car manufacturer are allowed also. 1jz in sc300 etc... SR swaps right now have to keep stock turbo and injectors that go along with motor, cams or unseen items are not really encouraged. You can run any front tires but Kendas in the rear to keep things level and affordable. Motors that come NA are not allowed to have any turbos added but a car that already has this can be petitioned in, same with the hydro ebrake rule.

This series is awesome and encourages people to make cool sustainable drift cars, without breaking the bank. Hope this sheds a little insight, Thanks!
I'm not sure how SR/2J swaps and cages make cool, sustainable drift cars that don't break the bank haha.

Those are pretty much the only two things that seperate Pro Am and fun-run drivers.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
RurouniMidnight
Street Blood

You can swap a motor in that came in the car from same manufacturer but keeping the motor stock, a bolt in rollcage keeps the car nice and is easy to do with out stripping it out and taking it somewhere for a full weld in. There are other cars you wouldnt have to really swap a motor in to be competitive like 350z, mustang, Bmw etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
RurouniMidnight
Street Blood

No fire suppression systems, no fia seats, harness', other pro am class rules.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #11
ON3L3G
suck my dick

ON3L3G probable wing man
Quote:
No fire suppression systems, no fia seats, harness', other pro am class rules.
so basically. you have to get another car, because yours is not what the rules require.....? RIP

fuck your face, your friends face, and your mothers face.

ONE LEG'D WONDER
ON3L3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
RurouniMidnight
Street Blood

No its the epiotme of street legal, just might have to change a few things with the motor.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
z31dude

z31dude probable wing man
so you buy a s13 with a ka, you can't go ka-t but you can swap a sr? what if you have a na car that was optional turbo and you put the stock turbo on a na motor? I don't see any complications there.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
Trey Terrell

Trey Terrell probable wing man
my thing is what if the car has a foot brake for the e brake. Can we add a in line hydro hand brake?
Trey Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Hiighboost2
214KMile KAT

Hiighboost2 probable wing man
^
Quote:
The rules are not set in Stone yet,
Motors that come NA are not allowed to have any turbos added but a car that already has this can be petitioned in, same with the hydro ebrake rule.
At round 6 Aaron said he would allow cars with foot e-brakes to petition in hydro e-brakes.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
RotaDrifta69

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31dude View Post
so you buy a s13 with a ka, you can't go ka-t but you can swap a sr? what if you have a na car that was optional turbo and you put the stock turbo on a na motor? I don't see any complications there.
That is my questioning as well. SR and 2J swaps are not what I would consider budget friendly. Neither is the rule for ONLY using Kenda rear tires.

Leave the events like they are, that way it weeds out the retards haha

If you don't have the budget to go Pro Am, you can still participate in events. It's not the end of the world.

Grassroots, Pro Am, and Formula Drift. TXSL is NOT going to help anyone unfortunately. These cars still have to be caged and depending on "engine/drivetrain" rules, I don't see this being any different from "entry level" cars in Pro Am.

Last edited by RotaDrifta69; 08-20-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #17
PacS14
Kouki Daily

PacS14 probable wing man
Why don't you guys make a drift what you got and just make a couple different classes and only keep some safety rules?
PacS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #18
Hiighboost2
214KMile KAT

I believe the goal of this is to have events where people don't need to have a big budget or a truck and trailer to get there.
You can drive your daily car w/ AC to and from the event.
Bolt in cages are allowed so you don't have to have a permanent cage.
I don't plan to run in the series, but I think it is a cool option for people who don't want to go the full race car route.
There are some bugs that will still need to be worked out, but overall I like the idea.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #19
RotaDrifta69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacS14 View Post
Why don't you guys make a drift what you got and just make a couple different classes and only keep some safety rules?
That is exactly what Pro Am is haha. Run whatever you want as long as it meets safety rules. Except for trucks/vans/fwd/etc. obviously.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
rofflehouse
Im Sleepy

rofflehouse probable wing man
So glad none of this concerns me ^_^
Old 08-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
drift_student
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻┻

drift_student probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaDrifta69 View Post
That is my questioning as well. SR and 2J swaps are not what I would consider budget friendly. Neither is the rule for ONLY using Kenda rear tires.

Leave the events like they are, that way it weeds out the retards haha

If you don't have the budget to go Pro Am, you can still participate in events. It's not the end of the world.

Grassroots, Pro Am, and Formula Drift. TXSL is NOT going to help anyone unfortunately. These cars still have to be caged and depending on "engine/drivetrain" rules, I don't see this being any different from "entry level" cars in Pro Am.
First of all, I want to clarify that I have not yet decided to compete in the TXSL series, but I have been into drifting off and on since 2004 when Texas Drift was running the Mineral Wells events and Daily Drifter put on the GGP, Belton, Mean Streets/Austin, and San Antonio events. So this is not coming from a "fan boi" hiding behind a computer. I missed Round 4, but spectated at every other event this year.

I think you're missing the point of TXSL entirely.

There is currently no "measuring stick" for the people who can't break into the top 16 with their 200hp cars, since they get eliminated by all of the big build cars. The majority of drifters don't have the cash or extra car to have a full race car. Think about how many people, especially on this forum, have half-assed "built" cars with V-mount setups, 6 brake calipers, extensive metal work, and are trying to build 400+hp, unreliable engines, etc. These people are trying to compete directly with Pro-Am level cars that were built with much larger budgets than the average enthusiast. How much fun is that really? The point is to get more drivers on the track and keep the entry level drivers in a very competitive class that highlights differences in driver skill, rather than letting the same 5-6 drivers who had an extra $15K+ for an insane HP engine setup and truck/trailer combo kick their asses at every event. Aaron is giving an opportunity for drivers to be able to afford competitive drifting by deriving a set of rules that forces drivers to hone their skills instead of sinking tons of cash into parts that make little to no difference.

I also appreciate the emphasis on building other cars outside of the S-chassis! Don't get me wrong, I've owned at least 1 240 since 2003 and am building another now, but I'm really looking forward to seeing other cars out there.

At the end of the day, it's all about getting more people into the sport and having fun! If you don't like the TXSL rules, don't participate and keep trying to play with the big boys in Pro-Am.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #22
drift_student
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻┻

drift_student probable wing man
Furthermore, who remembers watching Driftwood tandem with a stock KA? His driving had more style and finesse than an Olympic figure skater. What about Tirekiller? Those were the types of drivers who didn't need power "crutches", hydro e-brakes, and overfenders to hide 295's out back to have fun or put on a good show.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
XMcEvilson
█▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓█

XMcEvilson probable wing man
SR20 is an illegal engine swap, how does that fall under let's keep it street legal?

Street legal in Japan? This thread is racist toward KA-T

XMcEvilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Munki

Munki probable wing man
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_student View Post
Furthermore, who remembers watching Driftwood tandem with a stock KA? His driving had more style and finesse than an Olympic figure skater. What about Tirekiller? Those were the types of drivers who didn't need power "crutches", hydro e-brakes, and overfenders to hide 295's out back to have fun or put on a good show.
Times have changed... Now days people don't even start learning to drift until they have over at least 40k invested in their track car.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #25
Hiighboost2
214KMile KAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMcEvilson View Post
SR20 is an illegal engine swap, how does that fall under let's keep it street legal?

Street legal in Japan? This thread is racist toward KA-T

Aaron - and don’t worry KAT dudes, we are going to make an allowance for the KAT with 370cc injectors to get in.

Taken from Here