PDA

View Full Version : Overheating... Fan Clutch no good??????

Toyotech
04-21-2005, 07:25 PM
First off... I've never dealt with clutch fans when they go bad so I don't know how to test them. I've only taken them off and put em back on when doing timming belts.

Here's what I know.

My 90 240sx SOHC overheats when I come to a stop light and sit there for 3-4 minutes. When I start to drive again, the temperature goes down. This tells me that the radiator isn't getting any air flow across it to dissipate the heat from the coolant.

I have flushed the coolant twice to get the green shit, and the gunk out of the system. I made sure to bleed all the air out for a loooong time to be sure. All the while I had the heater blowing to ensure there aren't any air bubbles in the heater core.

I personally think it's the fan clutch...........

*When the engine has just been started and is completely cool, the fan spins very slowly (@ Idle) and can be stopped VERY EASILY.

^^^ I think that is normal ^^^

*When the engine has warmed up completely from driving 10+ miles, the fan spins very slow (@ Idle) and can *STILL* be stopped VERY EASILY... just like when it was COLD.

^^^ I don't think this is normal ^^^

So, what is the problem here?

Please advise...

Thanks,
Jake.

robs240sx
04-21-2005, 10:04 PM
you r right the fan clutch is bad. for a little more than the price of a new fan clutch you can get a electronic fan. you will even gain some hp. try auto zone they have one for about $70

KoukiKA240sx
04-21-2005, 10:09 PM
i recomend junkyard fan, and its a little hard to beat the giant mechanical fan and shroud, im sticking to my mechanical for this reason.

As for it being normal for you to be able to stop it with your hand at idle, NO def not normal at all. But i would hit up some junkyards, the right one might give it to ya for $10.
~Sam

Toyotech
04-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the advise guys... I was almost certain that was the problem.

I'll give the junkyard a shot first.

If I can't find time then I'll hit up the parts store. New is always better than used, only it costs about 80% more!

Jake.

initial what?
04-22-2005, 01:30 AM
i have one you can take.......10 bucks

Toyotech
04-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by initial what?
i have one you can take.......10 bucks

For the SOHC??????????

initial what?
04-22-2005, 01:36 AM
i didnt know they were different

Toyotech
04-22-2005, 01:39 AM
If they aren't different, then I'll take it.

Gotta find out first though... hopefully they are the same.

initial what?
04-22-2005, 01:43 AM
bring your fan here and if it bolts up to the pulley then were done......if not then iuno. id go electric. real easy to do

Toyotech
04-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by initial what?
bring your fan here and if it bolts up to the pulley then were done......if not then iuno. id go electric. real easy to do

I'm in spring, where are you???

initial what?
04-22-2005, 06:41 AM
249/cypresswood

Mikespeed95
04-22-2005, 11:19 AM
*tip*

if your drifting the car, keep the clutch fan, otehrwise your going to need some expensive and high flowing electric fans to pull air thru sideways. trust me on that. cheap e-fan will not cut it if your REALLY drifting.

Toyotech
04-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by mikespeed95
*tip*

if your drifting the car, keep the clutch fan, otehrwise your going to need some expensive and high flowing electric fans to pull air thru sideways. trust me on that. cheap e-fan will not cut it if your REALLY drifting.

thanks for the advise...

I had an idea while I was on the shitter a few minutes ago (it's gross I konw, but deal with it).

I remember my buddy had a similar problem with his 4-runner that also has a clutch fan... He brought it to my work and my boss found the problem in about... 6 or 7 seconds.

There was a cool area on his radiator which meant that it was somewhat clogged. The clutch fan wasn't heating so it wouldn't speed up enough to cool.

He sent the radiator out to have it cleaned. It came back and the problem was solved!!!

I hope that's my problem...

I'll let ya'll know tomorrow.