PDA

View Full Version : compressor surge?

xanavi_D
09-10-2005, 04:11 PM
i think my car is getting compressor surge. when the bov is tight you cant hear it at all, but you can hear air comming out of the intake area. this only happens when i let off the gas. So yesterday i decided to loosen the bov, now you can hear the bov a LITTLE bit, but i still get the compressor surge sound. i could loosen it more, but it leaks like a bitch at idle and the car stalls all the time or revs at around 200 rpm. with my lights on, however, the revs dont drop below 1000 rpm. i usually dont drive around with my lights on tho and im still getting compressor surge. i cant loosen the bov anymore tho or the car runs like shit. anyone know how to fix the surge and have the car run ok?

thanks, ivan

top_secret
09-10-2005, 09:39 PM
some cars with some bovs you just can't vent to atmosphere. Which blow off are you using? I had an HKS sequential one (for sale cheap btw) which let the comrpessor surge at light loads but didn't leak... now I have a tbo which is both responsive and doesn't seem to leak... but some valves you can't get that ideal middle ground on. If you can, recirculating your valve would probably help. On the other hand, my car had 88,000 km on it and no stock blow off valve (ca18) and the turbo on it was in the best shape of any I've seen...

xanavi_D
09-11-2005, 03:30 AM
i gotta greddy type-s. if theres a bov that would work better for 6 to 15 psi (im only running 6 psi right now) let me know. where could i get a tbo bov at?

top_secret
09-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I know jspec has one but they want too much for it (I paid like $60 for mine with the pipe).
I think most people agree that HKS valves are probably the most leakfree on the market. The apexi one got good reviews too.

I don't know much about the type S, but from what i've heard its pretty decent, I'd think you should be able to find an adjustment where it would be suitable. Just so you know, its normal to have a big of compressor surge when you aren't boosting enough to make the valve open fully...

rico05
09-26-2005, 02:05 AM
ARC, Turbo XS, and Greddy leak. I had an ARC and it ruined the idle and made the car run like crap vented. I now run an HKS SSQV and it works flawless.

Nismo_Freak
09-26-2005, 02:23 AM
My Blitz worked fine.

rico05
09-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Keith said that his DD leaked a lot and that he killed plugs all the time. When I rode with him, there was no stumble when it was vented, tho.

Nismo_Freak
09-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Keith said that his DD leaked a lot and that he killed plugs all the time. When I rode with him, there was no stumble when it was vented, tho.

I ran mine tight, as I could care less about the turbo getting surge at 2 PSI.

Many OEM's don't bother with bypass valves with such low boost pressures, so why should I make my BOV leak so my $100 T25 lives a week longer lol.

Pretty much how I see it.

rico05
09-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Indeed.