PDA

View Full Version : turbo water lines or not!

walkerkd
07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
does anyone run their turbo without the water lines? pros/cons anyone??

Sickboy
07-12-2005, 10:12 PM
If you're oiling system is not up to par.. or upgraded or designed to run a turbocharger.. I would suggest keeping the water-cooled option. It will increase the life of your turbocharger and reduce the probability of bearing failure.

I personally deleted the water-cooled option on my HKS set-up, but I also run an oil cooler. I may get around to running the water lines again later on.. next time I take it all apart.

Give or take, its not a MUST, but a good option thats worth using.

crzycav86
07-12-2005, 10:48 PM
The heat has to go somewhere, so if you go without the water-cooling, you heat up your oil. If you go with the water-cooling, you heat up your water system. Typically people who have just oil-cooled turbos are just fine with the extra hot oil...

However, turbos that are made with the water ports will suffer more than an oil-cooled only turbo if you opt not to use the water cooling. Water cooled turbos are made to be cooled with water, so I think you should use it.

I plan on hooking mine up after I sort out some other bugs...

sam also told me at FD that you don't have to use a turbo timer with water-cooled turbos, so that's another plus.:eyecrazy

redss
07-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I did some research into this already. As cramp as the space it is already bottom mounting a T-25 or 28 turbo, deleting the water line will make life easier on you. All the water line does is cool the bearing jacket and it does not cool the entire turbo unit. It does very little in promoting efficiency.

Turbo unit are made under the same concept but the T-25 or 28 just happens to have water jacket. Also the reason why they are found most commonly in factory turbocharged vehicle. The ladies will never thought about turbotiming their car before shopping at the mall.

redss
07-12-2005, 11:29 PM
hey Cav,

How goes the project? I like to check out your set up sometimes. Will like to compare notes.

crzycav86
07-12-2005, 11:40 PM
The project is finally coming to an end.

If my oil leak is fixed, then the car should be done this week.

woot.

You make a good point about the water cooling. I'll try to refresh my mind on what I've read.

walkerkd
07-13-2005, 06:43 AM
well i talked with the guy at Majestic on this issue he said to plug them they like you said do not help as much as people think.. he said that it is better. run a good oil and oil cooler and it would be good. also doing more searching on this also found that the water can and will cause errosion in time.. on my sr i think i will delete this on my setup. plug them and run just my oil. thanks guys.

TIREKILLER
07-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by redss
All the water line does is cool the bearing jacket and it does not cool the entire turbo unit. It does very little in promoting efficiency.

Thats the point, its not about efficiency. Efficiency is tied to the trim/ A/R etc. The water cooling is about longevity. Mainly the water keeps the oil from getting cooked up so bad in the bearing section, leading to longer life for your turbo. Now thats not to say that the water ia ABSOLUTELY necessary, just that you wont have to rebuild/replace the turbo as soon.

walkerkd
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
sounds good. ok heres one to go alone with that could you run a seperate water system for the turbo with like a small radiator? because it works without a pump. just the spining of the mass pulls water through it?? im just thinking i talk to a friend in Japan and he say they dont run them either. thanks all you guys for the feedback i will do some more home work!. hee hee..

TIREKILLER
07-13-2005, 10:35 AM
No need for a seperate cooling system, taping into the heater hoses between the engine and firewall is the easiest way to do it. Just get some 5/8-3/8-5/8 T-fittings and the correct banjo bolts for the turbo and your all set. Not hard at all, definately cheap insurance.

redss
07-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by walkerkd
sounds good. ok heres one to go alone with that could you run a seperate water system for the turbo with like a small radiator? because it works without a pump. just the spining of the mass pulls water through it?? im just thinking i talk to a friend in Japan and he say they dont run them either. thanks all you guys for the feedback i will do some more home work!. hee hee..

The turbo has no mean of pulling water. The water passage in the turbo unit is just that. You have to supply the pumping action. Move on and worry about the more important stuff like the oil feed and drain lines.

FYI,

The SSautochrome bottom mount manifold is the only one I know so far that puts the turbo at the same respective position as the SR setup. Turbo outlet, downpipe, catpipe, catback exhaust from an SR will all work together.

TIREKILLER
07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
There is no pumping action in the turbo, but after shutoff the coolant will still circulate through the turbo due to convection. I look at it this way, is your turbo timer gonna come on when you stall the car (IE a spin while drifting or a mis-shift). The water cooling is there just as a back up. Belt and suspenders kind of thing.

walkerkd
07-13-2005, 02:10 PM
thanks guys just seems to me that i can figure something out the srs water lines running to the turbo are hard lines im just thinking without running water and running a good oil and a cooler on it would be alot better than super heating my water. plus the damage water can cause to the turbo as well. i will think on this a bit more. im running maybe a gt28rs and may just run oil with a cooler on it. thanks for all the feedback it has helped alot.

TIREKILLER
07-13-2005, 03:25 PM
An oil cooler isnt really for the turbo, its to compensate for all of the extra heat that is transfered into the oiling system from the turbo. Its main job is to keep the oil from getting too hot and loosing viscosity.

The turbo is not going to put anymore heat into the cooling system than combustion in the cyl. already does.

Are you using this on an SR or a KA? its too easy to run the lines for this thing not to do it. Dont be lazy, 2 T-fittings some heater hose and the correct banjo fittings is all you need. If your gonna do it let me know and i will link you to the places you can order the stuff from.

And ive never heard of the water "eroding" the bearing section. Its not under high pressure or anything and the bearing housing is made of cast iron. Have you ever tried to drill or tap cast iron? That shit is tough!

Like I said before, its cheap insurance. Better safe than sorry!

walkerkd
07-13-2005, 04:44 PM
oh yea i totaly belive you. i got this info from Majestic Turbo in Dallas and just wanted to know who else was doing this besides the guys in Japan.. it is way to easy to do it when i upgade my turbo on my sr because it will be on the stand. anyway good info either way i decied to go. i will like to use good hose and make it bigger than the stock system. reliablity is my concern because i want to be at 300 rwhp before i ever get it in my car. and it will happen. but i will also be running a engine oil cooler as well.

TIREKILLER
07-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Here are the banjo fittings if you want to use heater hose and hose clamps.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-004&Category_Code=FTG

Or if you wanted to be fancy you could use these and some -6 AN fittings with braided stainles hose.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-012&Category_Code=FTG

The only problem there is what do you do with the other end. I dont know much about the SR so i dont know what the stock coolant lines tap into on the engine side. But for the KA i am going to replace the straight plastic coupler between the engine side and firewall side of the heater hoses, with a T-fitting. Then just run the hose from there to the turbo. Of course Im gonna cover the hose with insulating wrap since its gonna be close to the exhaust.

Here is the T im gonna use

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?reqtyp=catalog&CtlgPgNbr=117&sesnextrep=308140340530965&CtlgEdition=111&k1=2653K97&t1=PN&ScreenWidth=1024&McMMainWidth=801

And here are some threads that may be helpful.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2549&highlight=water+lines

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1691&highlight=gt+series+water+lines

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4004&highlight=water+lines

Anyway, just figured I would share since i have been doing alot of research on this very subjuct already.

silverline
07-13-2005, 09:30 PM
hell its even better on the sr because they do it for you from the factory.. if its there y delete it

crzycav86
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your input tirekiller. The threads you posted were informative. :)

TIREKILLER
07-14-2005, 09:46 AM
No problem.:)