PDA

View Full Version : open atmosphere BOV on stock sr20

slideways2004
07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
are there any bov that don't leak at idle on a stock (bot-ons) sr20. i've heard the hks ssqv doesn't leak.

silverline
07-03-2005, 11:21 PM
my apex i dosnt

_al
07-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by slideways2004
are there any bov that don't leak at idle on a stock (bot-ons) sr20. i've heard the hks ssqv doesn't leak.

Can you name the ones that do leak at idle? I got my GReddy Type-R BOV with the optional stiff spring, which is probably the reason I suffered compressor surge :o

slideways2004
07-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by _al

Can you name the ones that do leak at idle? I got my GReddy Type-R BOV with the optional stiff spring, which is probably the reason I suffered compressor surge :o

so you're saying i can put the greddy, apex, hks on my hot-pipe ona stock engine and it will work fine?

also what is the benefit of the stiff spring?

crzycav86
07-04-2005, 08:34 PM
I suppose it's because it can hold more boost before leaking, and not leak at idle.

ameenIT
07-04-2005, 11:58 PM
damn AL.. the type R is one hardcore BOV.. i hope you had a huge turbo running alot of boost when you were running it..

i had the type S on my supra and i had it set just right so it wouldnt stay open too long after i was off throttle.. just enough so i wouldnt get surge nor would it stumble.. but im not a big fan of the sound..

i hear the SSQV is one of the best..

_al
07-05-2005, 08:24 AM

so you're saying i can put the greddy, apex, hks on my hot-pipe ona stock engine and it will work fine?

also what is the benefit of the stiff spring?

If spring preload is adjusted, good vacuum source is used (before the TB and not in the intake manifold), and your AIV is working properly, it shouldn't leak. Pressure in the intake piping will hold the BOV shut.

There are no benefits to the stiff spring unless you plan on boosting great amounts. It's a disadvantage, in my opinion, because I've been told none of the better brands have a problem leaking under full boost because the vacuum source becomes a pressure source helping the valve stay closed.

Originally posted by ameenit
damn AL.. the type R is one hardcore BOV.. i hope you had a huge turbo running alot of boost when you were running it..

i had the type S on my supra and i had it set just right so it wouldnt stay open too long after i was off throttle.. just enough so i wouldnt get surge nor would it stumble.. but im not a big fan of the sound..

i hear the SSQV is one of the best..

Ameen, all I had was the T3/T04E and I had intended on squeezing 25psi out of it. I might actually "need" the Type-R BOV now that I have a turbo that I can take to much higher psi. Did your Type-S sound like a bird or something? Hehe

ameenIT
07-05-2005, 10:58 AM
no it sounded like..

PUSSSHHHH KWEEEEEEeeeeee....

had a real metallic sound and high pitched.. for the turbo i had the stock exhaust side with a t04 housing and wheel.. and it still sounded wierd.. not fitted for a supra... crazy spooling sound.. rear wheels cant even hold traction.. then a pussy ass..

PUSSSHHHH KWEEEEEEeeeeee....

:confused

slideways2004
07-05-2005, 02:19 PM
ok one more question al, you said intake piping, that doesn't mean it has to be on the cold-pipe right?

i have a turboxs bov that i was planning on using when i first started. i was gonna put it on the hot-pipe and i forgot where the vacuum source was coming from, i think it was from the intake manifold

crzycav86
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
ok one more question al, you said intake piping, that doesn't mean it has to be on the cold-pipe right?

i have a turboxs bov that i was planning on using when i first started. i was gonna put it on the hot-pipe and i forgot where the vacuum source was coming from, i think it was from the intake manifold

You can do it on the hotpipe, but it's better to do it on the coldpipe because that's where the surge starts.

As for the vacuum source: it better be from the intake manifold... that's the only place where it'd work.:p

slideways2004
07-05-2005, 02:27 PM
teh ghettoness

http://img208.echo.cx/img208/9549/p20802368kn.jpg
http://img208.echo.cx/img208/9862/p20802392ly.jpg

_al
07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
and i forgot where the vacuum source was coming from, i think it was from the intake manifold

crzycav is right, the signal should come from the intake manifold. I got mixed up because my GReddy Type-R BOV has a "helper port" on the "positive" side of the valve's diphragm.

I like my BOVs to be on the cold side. If it's after the intercooler, the intercooler won't need to repressurize. But I've heard it's not incorrect to put it on the hotside, either ... it's easier to plumb it for recirculation if it's on the hotside.

rico05
07-05-2005, 04:43 PM
ARC BOVs MUST be recurriculated. I had one, and while it sounded great vented, it worked MUCH better (no stumbles) recurriced. When I get more cash flow, I am heading to SGP to get a GReddy Al hotpipe midified for my CA and throwing on a HKS SSQV.

Nismo_Freak
07-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by _al

crzycav is right, the signal should come from the intake manifold. I got mixed up because my GReddy Type-R BOV has a "helper port" on the "positive" side of the valve's diphragm.

I like my BOVs to be on the cold side. If it's after the intercooler, the intercooler won't need to repressurize. But I've heard it's not incorrect to put it on the hotside, either ... it's easier to plumb it for recirculation if it's on the hotside.

All Greddy BOV's have the helper ports. They are designed like dual port wastegates.

If the BOV opens the entire system will depressurize, including the intercooler.

The Greddy Type-S sounds like a rusty door hinge.

_al
07-06-2005, 09:16 AM
If the BOV opens the entire system will depressurize, including the intercooler.

If the BOV is before the intercooler, the intercooler goes to vacuum. I don't see it going to vacuum if it vents after the intercooler.

Alan, do you have an extra helper port nipple I can buy or bum off of you?

slideways2004
07-06-2005, 02:32 PM
now i can't decide if i should put it on the hot or cold-side. on my cold-pipe i have a flange for a greddy bov that can be recirculated

ameenIT
07-06-2005, 03:04 PM
then do it on your cold side.. lol

silverline
07-06-2005, 09:55 PM
cold i justput mine there

drft57pro
07-08-2005, 12:00 AM
i love my greddy type r and sounds badass @20+psi

jeremyS14
07-08-2005, 12:03 AM
my blitz super sound makes me smile